Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Whatever your reason for Christmas, I simply hope you have one.



"Christmas is when you celebrate the birth of Jesus." That's what my oldest daughter told her sister.

Even though we don't really consider ourselves a Christian family (at least in the same sense that other Christian families would probably describe themselves), I want my children to be religiously literate. And I want them to understand the interconnectedness of all religion and spiritual life. So, we bought a nativity last year (I highly recommend this one) and I have devoted more energy this year to making sure they understand the nativity story and the meaning that so many other families give their Christmas holiday.

But hearing my daughter say so matter-of-factly that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birthday made me feel a bit uneasy.

I'm not here to debate whether or not Christmas IS Jesus' birthday, or whether or not it should be celebrated as such. I am, here, however, to figure out how these ideas fit into my own family. One of the things that bothers me most about religion is the fact that so many people believe they know the right answers. I have always said that when it comes to my children, I will not care what religious or spiritual beliefs they hold. I just don't want them to grow up believing that everyone else should believe exactly as they do.

"If you've got all the answers, then don't call what you do faith." - Brene Brown

So because we've read the nativity story in a children's Bible story book, and we've watched a beautiful narration of the nativity story (highly, highly recommend this video - FREE with Amazon Prime), and we've talked about the birth of the "light of the world," my very literal 5-year-old came to believe that this was the meaning of Christmas. Who can blame her? 

What's important for me, with children ages 5 and 4, is that Christmas has some sort of meaning to them. 

Regardless of what you believe, it's important to believe in something -  be it your religion, the Universe, or simply human compassion. With all it's different meanings, traditions, and historical influences, Christmas provides an opportunity for many of us to come together during an often gloomy and cold time of year (depending on where you live, of course!). From the earliest records we have of civilization, humans have been celebrating things at this time of year. Most common was the winter solstice - the shortest day of the year, which meant more sunlight in the days to come. Humans have always felt a desire to come together and celebrate. 

So whatever your reason for Christmas, I hope this season is full of joy and love for you and your family. Christmas, for me, is a time to take notice of how wonderful it is to have family - near and far - who love us. It's a time to shower the people I love with gifts. It's a time of warm food with friends, soft lights on evenings when the sun sets too early, and a reminder that the world is a good place. And whether my children believe it literally or figuratively, it's a time to celebrate a special light that came into the world many, many years ago. 

I just want my children to believe in something. 

“As long as you have life and breath, believe. Believe for those who cannot. Believe even if you have stopped believing. Believe for the sake of the dead, for love, to keep your heart beating, believe. Never give up, never despair, let no mystery confound you into the conclusion that mystery cannot be yours.” ― Mark HelprinA Soldier of the Great War

What do you want your children to believe in during this holiday season? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment